Establishment of CAAM-HP
The CAAM-HP was established in 2003 under the aegis of CARICOM and became operational immediately following the launch on July 14, 2004 in Jamaica by the former Prime Minister, the Most Honourable P.J. Patterson.
Agreement Establishing the CAAM-HP
The CAAM-HP was legally constituted with an Agreement. This Agreement, the Agreement Establishing the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions, was signed by five (5) Heads of Government in November 2003, at which time the Agreement became provisionally applicable. To date, thirteen (13) CARICOM member countries have signed the Agreement:
- Antigua & Barbuda
- The Bahamas
- St. Kitts & Nevis
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines
- Trinidad & Tobago
Composition of the Authority
Membership of the CAAM-HP comprises representatives from the universities in the region, students, civil society, professional associations and external professionals with expertise and knowledge in the accreditation of training programmes in medicine and other health professions.
Other Health Professions
Where the Authority specifies which professions are to be treated as other health professions, membership of the Authority shall be extended to include:–
- two (2) persons nominated jointly by academic institutions offering training in other health professions in the Community;
- two (2) students enrolled in training programmes in other health professions in institutions in the Community nominated jointly by those institutions.
Objectives of the Authority
The Authority has the objectives of:
- achieving and maintaining standards of excellence in programmes of education in medicine and other health professions;
- establishing an efficient system of regulation in relation to the standards and quality of such programmes of education;
- securing international recognition of the programmes of education in medicine and other health professions;
maintaining the confidence of the peoples of the region in the quality of medical and other health professions training offered in the region.
CAAM-HP Accreditation System
The accreditation system used by the CAAM-HP is based on that of the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME). This system functions with a clear, authoritative mandate, operates independently of governments and institutions, uses preset standards, draws on external reviewers and involves self-evaluation and site visits.
For more information about CAAM-HP, contact the Secretariat.